Clemton Park Public School

Vitai lampada "Play the Game"

Telephone02 9718 4483

Our History

Back in the 1900s there wasn't even a suburb called Clemton Park. Children went to nearby schools such as Belmore South, Campsie, Earlwood and Moorefield. These schools were getting too crowded and the community decided to build a school in their area known as ‘The School On The Hill'.

The area contentiously known as Clemton Park today was formally referred to as Earlwood. In 1925 The William Street Progress and Tramway Extension League decided thatthe district known as Earlwood covered too large an area. It was proposed that a competition be held to create a new name for the area in the vicinity of William Street.

A man by the name of Mr Len Loxley suggested that the area be called Clemton Park. It is claimed that a man by the name of Frederick Moore Clements owned 42 acres of property between William Street and Bexley Rd in 1825 until 1911 when he sold it to Robert Woods Thurlow and John Robb Baxter Bruce.

Mr Clements was a very successful and respected businessman who was responsible for "Clement's Tonic". The advertising jingle used to say "Clements Tonic for nerve and brain, helps to make you well again". A bit different to the types of jingles we're used to!!

However, Mr Clements obviously didn't use his miracle tonic himself – he died in August 1920.

In 1925 the secretary of The William Street Progress and Tramway Extension League, Mr. Moncur, put in requests to the Minister for Education to build a school on Bexley Road. At that time Bexley Rd was called Northcote St.

Mr Moncur's first and second attempts were declined but it was realised in 1926 that there was in fact a need for a new school to be built. The school, with its official name of Clemton Park Public School, was completed in 1928 at the cost of 8677 pounds with the first enrolled students starting in 1929.

The school, fondly known as the school on the hill, was a two storey building with six class rooms, two staff rooms and a toilet block. This building is the current Block A. The school started off with 300 students with 50 in each classroom. By August 1930 the school population rose to 450.

The very first principal was Mr Edward Moran accompanied by the Infants Mistress, Miss Olive Schofield. Ninety-two years later, our principal is Mr Paul Robinson who is very proud to be here today.

Over time, Clemton Park Public School has had its share of changes and these continue with new buildings and play equipment being built recently. This school is a very talented school and always has been, in particular in sports, as you can see from the many trophies collected over the years.

The school also offers a large variety of activities for students to excel in, whether it is sport, musical or academic.

The older school emblem of ‘Vita Lampada' translates to ' The Torch of Life'. However, our school motto was, and still is today, "Play the Game".